Sinan's response (he doesn't subscribe to this list).
Apologies if this comes through a couple of times.

Hey Jeremy,

Great questions!

1. Sure, InstallAware itself is a Delphi app :) And I believe some Interbase
apps have been deployed also.
2. Good :)
3. Able to install SQL Server Express (any instance), able to run SQL
scripts on Oracle, MySQL, and MSSQL platforms.
4. Quite easy to install a custom instance. Just check the runtime and then
click the Options button! That's all it takes. You can test for a custom
instance. You get 40% better compression on the SQL installer size. You can
web deploy just the SQL installer. The instance checking looks for the
service name so its more reliable too!
5. You can check for an existing instance. A pre-built dialog shows you how.
You can of course run scripts and attach databases.

Sincerely,

Sinan