John,

I find this rather tedious and almost never use this method. I either declare each field as an array on its own so that I dont have to specify the field name. Or, I populate the array at run time by calling a procedure with all the field values. You could also read it from a file, from the database or a resource.

I am interested particularly in an uninitialised field in a constant
record
like:

type
  TSampleRecord = record
    SampCode: Integer;
    SampName:string[30];
    SampAddress1:array[1..3] of string[20];
    iValue: integer;
  end;

const
  ConstArr: array [0..5] of TSampleRecord =(
    (SampCode: 0; SampName:'Nought';
SampAddress1:('A01','A02','A03');iValue: 10),
    (SampCode: 1; SampName:'First';
SampAddress1:('A11','A12','A13');iValue:
11),
    (SampCode: 2; SampName:'Second';
SampAddress1:('A21','A22','A23');iValue: 12),
    (SampCode: 3; SampName:'Third';
SampAddress1:('A31','A32','A33');iValue:
13),
    (SampCode: 4; SampName:'Fourth';
SampAddress1:('A41','A42','A43');iValue: 14),
    (SampCode: 5; SampName:'Five missing iValue';
SampAddress1:('A51','A52','A53'))
  );

In this case the uninitialised ConstArr[5].iValue behaves as being 0,
which
is nice.  I am setting up some constant records like this and it would be
convenient if I do not have to explicitly initialise every last field
value
especially if I know I won't be using that particular one...what is "best
practice"?

John

*Rohit Gupta*
* B.E. Elec.   M.E.   Mem IEEE    Associate IEE*
*Technical Manager*
*Computer Fanatics Limited*
** *Tel* +64 9 4892280
*Fax*    +64 9 4892290
*Email  [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>**
*Web    *www.cfl.co.nz <http://www.cfl.co.nz/>

This email and any attachments contain information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, distribute or copy this email or attachments. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return email and then delete this email and any attachments.