Bryan Pendleton wrote:

2) I'm surprised by the concept of removing the class files but not
removing the jar files; I have trouble thinking of situations in
which I'd want to rebuild the class files but not rebuild the jars.

I think some developers feel that it is more convenient to include the
classes directory in their "sandbox classpath" instead of all the derby
jars. This means that the jars don't have to be re-built every time the
developer wants to try something out, thus saving some time (albeit not
much).

I wish I just had a simple target that said: "blow everything away"
and another that said "build everything that matters". Instead I
often find myself doing awkward things like:

ant clobber; ant; ant testing; ant buildjars

Am I just missing a simple incantation?

I don't think there is one...
I routinely use "ant clobber", "ant all" and "ant buildjarsclean".

The latter target removes the old jars and builds new ones (I have seen
issues (jars not being properly updated) after using "buildjars" without
removing the old jars first).

The "all" target inlcudes "testing", thus saving you one command ;)
What I find the most counter-intuitive about this is that the "all"
target does not include building the jars.

--
John