The idea was not about building a custom JDK and ship it along with
Cassandra, rather than using the new modular run-time images feature [0]
introduced in Java 9. See also the link posted by Jason [1] for an
practical introduction.

[0] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/220
[1]
https://steveperkins.com/using-java-9-modularization-to-ship-zero-dependency-native-apps/