Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
Sylvain proposed [1] to base blocks on the OSGi service platform [2][3]. After having studied it in more detail I'm completely convinced that it is the way to go.

Alternatives

So GBeans seem like the only serious alternative. I don't know enough about GBeans to be able to evaluate it. But its much earlier in its development, it is not a standard and there is only one implementation, so it should IMO have a considerable technical advantage to OSGi to be used instead.

You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant advantage.

Also I would assume that the fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi will mean that it would be much easier to write various Cocoon tools if we base Cocoon on OSGi.

The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.

Vadim