On 11/5/13 11:26 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hehe, right.
>
> I looked a bit more today and LongAdder is only a part of the
> solution. The stat computation still needs to lock to get acces to
> previous values (N -> N+1). Basically the gain wouldn't be as
> important as I thought :(.

Right, but I think your original idea of maintaining a pool of
instances (fewer that one per thread) to be periodically aggregated
is a good one.  See below.

> As I said before we'll wait a bit to gather feedbacks, if it blocks
> I'll come back trying to find + propose a solution.
>
> Thanks in all cases for your answers!

A workaround that I have started playing with (partly for other
benchmarking reasons) might be to actually use a pool for the stats
objects that the monitoring threads use.  Using a pool would allow
you to monitor and tune the parameters.  We now have (well, once the
VOTE in progress completes :) a decently performing pool
implementation.  The tricky bit is locking the instances during
aggregation.  One way to handle this would be to have the factory's
passivate method and the aggregation thread contend for locks on the
pooled stats instances.  The only contention would be when
aggregation is copying individual instances and contention would be
with at most one client thread (waiting to proceed in passivate).

Phil