On Feb 29, 2012, at 12:19 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 2/29/2012 9:45 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:32 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> It's the reason why mod_aspdotnet was ejected, and why mod_arm4, mod_ftp and
>>> perhaps even mod_fcgid are all on their way out of the project as it is,
>>> unless
>>> more committers participate in those subprojects.
>>
>> The other way to approach it is to simply move them *into* the main
>> project, and not as "subprojects"...
>
> Jim, I respectfully, but profoundly disagree.  To have one or fewer
> active maintainers of a given module in the core distribution is far
> more problematic than having a stale subproject.  The stale subproject
> cries out for attention if users or developers want to make a release.
> The core module languishes and impacts more and more users, and the
> very reputation of this project.

mod_rewrite was an "external" subproject. I submit that it is
doing better here, under the main tree.

mod_proxy_html was the same. It is under the main.

mod_sed... ditto

mod_proxy was a subproject, but lives and thrives under the main.

You mention that some modules aren't doing well. The ones you
mention do not live under the main.

The fact is that once a project lives under the main tree,
it's part of our shared project...