Hi all,

On 04/20/2018 01:34 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
But why does it matter that h2 was added in 2.4.x instead of
a 2.6.0?

Because it sets a bad precedence (or even continues to do so)?

Every new feature must bump the minor? Even if
there is no corresponding ABI issue?

Why not?

In my role as Debian Developer maintaining the Debian packages of other OSS projects, and also in my role of maintaining a commercial reverse proxy product based on Apache httpd during my day job, I value the ability to distinguish between bugfix-only releases and feature addition releases.

This does not mean that a minor bump needs to happen at almost every release. But not bumping the minor for years (which seems to be the current pattern of the httpd project) is just worse, because it increases the incentive to squeeze features like h2 into releases that are meant (or perceived) as bugfix-only releases.

Regards,
Micha