Hi,

I don't know if I will be really helping here, but I thought ... as the
conversation is shifting towards 'will there be volunteers to join' ... I might
share my perspective here, as someone who has been observing this mail list
(and also this thread) for years... Quietly observing, that is :)

We have a few use cases around here for a java-to-any cloud lib (I can share
more details on this if anyone is interested?), but I've honestly during that
time I've been warming up and cooling down on the idea of using jclouds. Not a
bad idea, if you ask me, but then the 'native' libs usually take over, so we
don't use jclouds currently (it's actually not that difficult for us to plug
some custom, per-cloud logic into karaf - which is what we use a lot).

On the other hand - I'm also super keen on working on better integration
between Apache projects, say, for example, one thing we might be interested in
is adding Apache Ozone support to jclouds (I don't see it in the list on the
official web?), plus a few more 'compute' providers that we use around here.
And I can also bring a couple of guys to this too, if needed. Far from the idea
that we can start doing PR reviews straight away, but we can volunteer some
development effort if it fits our use cases - say, provisioning networks (and
not just buckets and computes) might also be a fit...

But at the same time - I do still kinda struggle (that is - for the use cases
we have around here) - with the question of 'why not use the official libs
instead?'. And in that sense, in my opinion, it really comes down to - who are
the users of jclouds, and are there any potential new uses for it... And if
there are - it will be worth supporting jclouds.

Don't know if I managed to explain my view clearly, happy to answer questions
you might have... And ... sort of, really hoping I can be of any help here. :)

Cheers,

 ---- On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:59:39 +0200  Jean-Baptiste Onofré  wrote ---