This is not very serious discussion since we saw users on our mailing list
who said that he is using Java 1.6 compiler and JDK7 in Maven.
Serious discussion would uncover pros/cons and impact analysis.

I would have a problem with Java 1.8 in target and source code but I have
problem that we excluded our users from the VOTE.
Regarding Java 1.7 we clearly uncovered the migration plan, versions of
plugins, core etc. Here nothing like that exists - only that somebody
created a Jira ticket.

Technically I would be interested if somebody could explain what NEW
Security API is in Java 1.8 and performance impact of Streams API. That's
the impact in the source code.
Somebody has other questions too.
Then we can write Wiki as well as rules, conditions and plan.

Cheers
Tibor17