Works for me to just start over on the ASF JIRA. There are a couple issues I'd
move but we can migrate a issues easily. What can't continue is the complete,
incomprehensible mess that is there now.

On Jan 20, 2014, at 12:32 PM, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we are going wholesale dumping issues (and I am not against that), I
> have a more radical suggestion... let's just move core to the ASF JIRA...
> with next to no issues needing migration it would be easy ;-)
>

> On 20 January 2014 17:23, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>
>> Really, it's more about dropping a nuclear bomb on JIRA. While trying to
>> sift through it this weekend it's clear to me it's less than ideal in there.
>>
>> There are issues that are 12 years old and while there might be some
>> useful information in there that we hand select, I think anything that is
>> older than 5 years we should just close as incomplete because with the
>> great deal of change that's happened with 3.x most of it isn't relevant and
>> if it is, and someone cares that much then it can be reopened with a
>> stand-alone working example of the problem.
>>
>> Now, as to the requirements for a stand-alone working example I think we
>> should enforce this because personally I'm not going to check out someone's
>> project, figure out how to interpret it in relation to the actual problem
>> in Maven and then create a project I can turn into an IT. I'm just not
>> going to do it generally. There might be exceptions but I don't want to
>> read a textual examples or try to figure out snippets of a production
>> project that can't be shared. In m2e we require a working example project
>> to even look at a problem and if the issue sits there for a year with a
>> working sample project we close it.
>>
>> Having an issue tracking system with 700 open issues is useless, so I
>> would like to do a mass purge. It shouldn't really get beyond 50 open
>> issues or it's just impossible to manage effectively.
>>
>> Not sure what anyone else thinks but our JIRA situation is just not
>> effective. I'm thinking anything over 5 years old that isn't assigned to a
>> core developer we just close as incomplete and then see what we're left
>> with. If anyone complains then we point them at doco (I'll write it) about
>> creating a stand-alone project because otherwise it become impossible. I
>> spent 8 hours over the weekend looking at issues trying to interpret what
>> someone was trying to say and I don't want to guess. If the user cares
>> enough they can make an example project.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
>> elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
>> and sit softly on your shoulder ...
>>
>> -- Thoreau

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.