On 29/11/2012 janI wrote:
ooo-wiki VM is so weak (compared to my notebook) that a lot of my "special"
select/join statements timed out...and the just because I have a simple
where clause "where user_id in (select user_id from wiki_maint_uids)"

I only had a quick look yesterday and I cannot check now, but there were several possible speed improvements, including using a simple JOIN instead if a LEFT JOIN and then discarding NULL matches, introducing a primary key or an index in the wiki_maint_uids table and using update on joins instead of subqueries. I didn't test any of these, and I didn't see the database, so don't trust the lines above too much! They are just semi-random thoughts based on the code I saw yesterday, and it could turn out that these changes slow down the queries instead of improving them.

Regards,
  Andrea.