Thanks I did not know that LEFT JOIN and JOIN has different speeds on inodb
tables. I made the fast fix, and split xmaint_uids into smaller tables, and
is running now.

BUT I am dead nervous of deleting wrong data !! so the review in general
would be nice.

I have also decided to post the user list here, to give people a chance to
shout and get removed from the list. There are very little margin for
errors on our database, and I would not like to cause problems (I think I
already have used this years allowance).

Thanks for your suggestions, I will implement a couple of your ideas before
I release the final script.

Jan.