I am a very experienced programmer and computer architect, now retired. My current strongest language is Java, but I have programmed in many languages and can learn them as needed. My last professional C++ work was in the 1980's.

Although I am Chair of the Apache River PMC, the types of work it currently needs, other than the facilitation and reporting I do as Chair, are outside my areas of expertise. I have time to do some programming elsewhere.

I have been an OpenOffice user - I started using StarOffice at Sun around 2000 - but more recently I've switched to LibreOffice because of lack of OpenOffice releases. I am now downloading OpenOffice 4.1.2.

I have become aware that OpenOffice needs more developers. Despite the rustiness of my C++, I hope I can help. If so, how should I get started?