On 10/29/2015 8:06 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Hello;

First of all, a warm welcome to Patricia. Java developers are
particularly welcome at this stage!

Just IMHO, the C++ side of AOO is either under-control or
too-ugly-to care-about, so we would do good focus more on the
Java parts, which are also somewhat ugly but still promising.

Once you get the code to build, some things that could be looked into:

- We are using some very old Java code for things that are in modern
JDKs:
Stax is one of them .. it looks very easy to get rid of.
Apache Commons is another one (LibreOffice recently replaced it),
Rhino could be replaced with project Nashorn.

- Then there’s a lot of space for new Java development:

We could make better use of Apache Lucene and tomcat.
We could probably find uses for Apache POI
We could probably use pdfbox to import pdf (just speculating,
we have some C code for that that still needs fixes)

I am sure there is more to do, just hope that gives you some hints ;)

That gives me a starting place. I was trying to decide whether to begin by learning AOO building or to begin with C++ review and update.