On 10/28/2015 8:18 PM, F C. Costero wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

I am a very experienced programmer and computer architect, now retired.
My
current strongest language is Java, but I have programmed in many
languages
and can learn them as needed. My last professional C++ work was in the
1980's.

Although I am Chair of the Apache River PMC, the types of work it
currently needs, other than the facilitation and reporting I do as Chair,
are outside my areas of expertise. I have time to do some programming
elsewhere.

I have been an OpenOffice user - I started using StarOffice at Sun around
2000 - but more recently I've switched to LibreOffice because of lack of
OpenOffice releases. I am now downloading OpenOffice 4.1.2.

I have become aware that OpenOffice needs more developers. Despite the
rustiness of my C++, I hope I can help. If so, how should I get started?

​You have wonderful experience, Patricia! ​Thank you for your interest.
Stay tuned. We'll be discussing plans and tasks  for the future very soon.
Meanwhile, we could certainly use some "architect" eyes on our code. Please
weigh in as you see fit.

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
                                                           --Lao Tzu

Hello Patricia,
    You might be interested in the comments in favor of Java use in AOO made
on this list by Damjan Jovanovic on Oct 15. I'm sorry I can't link to them
at the moment.
Francis

Thanks. I've just read the thread. I certainly prefer Java to C++, but I rarely have a machine capable of running OpenOffice that does not have at least one JRE installed.