On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 03:10:40 -0800
Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 11/2/2015 2:33 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:
> >> "Install cygwin, 32bit version"
> >>
> >> Do I really have to go to 32-bit Cygwin? I have a fine 64-bit Cygwin
> >> already running on my 16 GB memory system.
> >>

> > I am not sure what impact the bitness of Cygwin has on the build, but as I
> > discovered recently, AOO doesn't build on Win64.
> >
> > How are your efforts with AOO development going otherwise Patricia? Do you
> > need any help or development ideas?
> >

> I am still working through the instructions for getting ready to build -
> I have some other non-software projects that will take a lot of my time
> this week.
>
> By "Win64" do you mean any 64-bit MS-Windows system? If so, that is a
> very serious issue. I do development on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 system. Has
> anyone successfully built on that OS?
>
> I am experimenting with installing Linux on other computers, but none of
> them has the compute power, memory, or monitor size for serious development.

My thoughts are that the most important factor in development is monitor
size/usage. I use a double monitor setup - 1280x1024 and 1650x1050 and it is
quite adequate.  If I were to replace a monitor now, I'd consider a 2650 x 1440.

For memory, all my machines are 4GB (old machines) and their chips run at about
4000 Bogomips per core (2 core CPUs).  The major manifestation of slow CPUs
will be long compile times; editing is OK if you keep the number of concurrent
processes low (IDE code editor, email and Browser would be ny typical setup,
running on Xubuntu 15.10)

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>