On 20/05/2011 17:45, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Wilper schrieb:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I was trying to build a DEV300_m106 on Linux lately and got the
>> following make error when it comes to build vcl:
>>
>> R=/home/sxw/work&&  S=$R/DEV300&&  O=$S/solver/300/unxlngi6.pro&&
>> W=$O/workdir&&   mkdir -p $O/lib/&&  /bin/cp --remove-destination --force
>> --preserve=timestamps  $O/lib/libicule.so
>> /bin/cp: missing destination file operand after
>> `/home/sxw/work/DEV300/solver/300/unxlngi6.pro/lib/libicule.so'
>> Try `/bin/cp --help' for more information.
>> make: *** [/home/sxw/work/DEV300/solver/300/unxlngi6.pro/lib/libicule.so]
>> Error 1
>>
>> I found out that the cp command is issued in solenv/gbuild/Deliver.mk and one
>> of the two variables $(1) is empty.  Unfortunately I don't know
>> make that good to debug this issue any further.
>>
>> Maybe one of you can shed some light on this?
>
> Please read the last paragraph from Mathias Bauer in
> http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/dev/archive/2011-05/message/41

while this is of course true, Simon's problem could occur on any milestone.

the problem is that the module that should have delivered the file
libicule.so was not built.
this can be caused by bad module dependencies (if it happens on a build
from scratch), but actually a lot of the time it is caused by user error,
such as building from tarballs and not unpacking the external library
tarball, or deleting parts of the build output and then not rebuilding that.

to fix it you just have to re-build and deliver the module that delivers
the file ("icu" in this case).

btw, in CWS gnumake4 i've tweaked Deliver.mk so it prints an error message
in this case, and doesn't just call "cp" with one parameter...

--
"C:    the PDP-11 assembler that thinks it's a language
 C++:  the PDP-11 assembler that thinks it's an object system" -- JWZ