One simple answer: The drivers do not work appropriately with complex SQL data types. In PHP or node.js I will get a string that I have to parse, in MongoDB, I get a proper object or list. If I used hstore in a consequent way (I like consequence and unification), I would have sets in sets, and this is the same as a document oriented database.
But just intermingling things for fun does not make the world better.
MongoDB, for example, unifies worlds by simply using JSON. I don't have to manually parse things I do not need to parse.