Hi,

On 11/19/10 10:25, Andreas Kalsch wrote:
I am sure there are some good uses for hstore, but as soon as you use
it, you are waiting for something like a document-oriented database. I
ask myself: Why do I need normal columns when there is hstore?

This is exactly what I was getting at. If you're driven by a desire for the pure, then you'd drop all the extra columns in the tables and have tags *only* in hstore. But it turns out that even if you go through the effort of adapting your mapnik style sheet to query the hstore columns, this doesn't perform well enough for proper tile rendering, so you re-add those columns that are used often...

MongoDB, for example, unifies worlds by simply using JSON. I don't
have to manually parse things I do not need to parse.

In turn, you will have a hard time getting the performance required
for a planet-wide application out of MongoDB.

OK, can you explain further what the bottlenecks would be?

I've never touched MongoDB, I've just heard people enthusiastically adopt MongoDB for OSM and then growing very quiet. I think you were involved in that thread (back in July)?

But to go back to your original problem - I have a similar situation where a plugin has been written for Osmosis 0.33 which doesn't work with 0.37 any more, and because I could not be bothered to fix that, I simply use two instances of Osmosis in a pipe - one 0.37 instance to handle the pbf and one 0.33 instance to interface with my plugin. Ugly but works.

Bye
Frederik