Dear Shindig Community,

I’d like to bring our contribution regarding a proper database backend for
Apache Shindig to your attention.

As some of you might know, we already posted an initial patch over a year
ago. It turned out, that it was not feasible to include this in Shindig due
to licensing issues that we were not aware of before.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1911

A few months later we asked via the mailing list, whether you would be still
interested in getting a patch which circumvents these issues and I received
positive feedback from you.

4 months ago, we posted a new version of the patch which sorted out the
licensing issues and had some other significant enhancements regarding
multi-threading, multiple concurrent connections and things like that, that
make it ready for larger installations with multiple db servers.

https://reviews.apache.org/r/9773/

Initially, Ryan Baxter gave us some good hints regarding minor issues with
documentation and installation. We’ve sorted them out, but during the last
three months there were no visible efforts from the Shindig-side to really
bring this patch into the main code. We are still committed to support and
further enhance it, so if there are reasonable issues, please let us know.

I’d like to communicate my frustration and disappointment about the
procedure. I don’t know the reasons for the way this issue is handled and
I’m sure you all have important things to do, but I can’t imagine how any
open source project can work that simply ignores contributions worth several
person months of work.

Please give this patch a fair chance.

Regards

René

Prof. Dr. René Peinl

Teaching area: architecture of Web applications

Hof University

Alfons-Goppel-Platz 1

95028 Hof

Germany