Maintaining both a 1.7 and 2.0 is too much work for the project, which
is over-stretched now. This means that after 1.6 it's just small
maintenance releases in 1.x and no substantial features or evolution.
This means that the "in progress" APIs in 1.x that will stay that way,
unless one updates to 2.x. It's not unreasonable, but means the update
to the 2.x line isn't going to be that optional for users.

Scala 2.10 is already EOL right? Supporting it in 2.x means supporting
it for a couple years, note. 2.10 is still used today, but that's the
point of the current stable 1.x release in general: if you want to
stick to current dependencies, stick to the current release. Although
I think that's the right way to think about support across major
versions in general, I can see that 2.x is more of a required update
for those following the project's fixes and releases. Hence may indeed
be important to just keep supporting 2.10.

I can't see supporting 2.12 at the same time (right?). Is that a
concern? it will be long since GA by the time 2.x is first released.

There's another fairly coherent worldview where development continues
in 1.7 and focuses on finishing the loose ends and lots of bug fixing.
2.0 is delayed somewhat into next year, and by that time supporting
2.11+2.12 and Java 8 looks more feasible and more in tune with
currently deployed versions.

I can't say I have a strong view but I personally hadn't imagined 2.x
would start now.