I'd also like to make it a requirement that Spark 2.0 have a stable
dataframe and dataset API - we should not leave these APIs experimental in
the 2.0 release. We already know of at least one breaking change we need to
make to dataframes, now's the time to make any other changes we need to
stabilize these APIs. Anything we can do to make us feel more comfortable
about the dataset and dataframe APIs before the 2.0 release?

I've also been thinking that in Spark 2.0, we might want to consider strict
classpath isolation for user applications. Hadoop 3 is moving in this
direction. We could, for instance, run all user applications in their own
classloader that only inherits very specific classes from Spark (ie. public
APIs). This will require user apps to explicitly declare their dependencies
as there won't be any accidental class leaking anymore. We do something
like this for *userClasspathFirst option but it is not as strict as what I
described. This is a breaking change but I think it will help with
eliminating weird classpath incompatibility issues between user
applications and Spark system dependencies.

Thoughts?

Kostas