spark 1.x has been supporting scala 2.11 for 3 or 4 releases now. seems to
me you already provide a clear upgrade path: get on scala 2.11 before
upgrading to spark 2.x

from scala team when scala 2.10.6 came out:
We strongly encourage you to upgrade to the latest stable version of Scala
2.11.x, as the 2.10.x series is no longer actively maintained.