Martin Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:25:55 -0800, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think a separate subproject for Tiles (including the code and the
tags) probably makes the most sense.

+1

If we don't mind the dependency
back onto Struts, then this could also include the Struts PlugIn that
is currently used to configure it -- although it would probably be
better that this class stay part of Struts so that the Tiles library
could be used stand alone.

I'd prefer to see it the first way - Tiles has a (compile-time)
dependency on Struts, and includes the plugin to be able to work with
Struts. This is analogous to the way Commons Chain has compile-time
dependencies on Servlets, Portlets and JSF, enabling it to work in
those environments if desired. A Velocity adapter could then also live
within Tiles, along with any others that people want to develop.

Having the Struts adapter be a part of Tiles doesn't prevent the Tiles
library from being used standalone any more than the Servlets,
Portlets and JSF adapters for Chain prevent its use outside all of
those environments.

I agree as well. This lets us follow a consistent approach to subprojects, where they may (and probably should) link to Struts core, but Struts core should not depend on them.

As for extracting Tiles, I don't mind doing the work along with the taglibs, but I'll let someone more experienced with Tiles do the work to make it more useful as a standalone component.

Don

In addition, there should be mechanisms to configure the Tiles
definitions even if Struts is not present, via TilesServlet (which I
believe already exists?) and/or a new ServletContextListener
implementation since we're willing to use Servlet 2.3.

+1

--
Martin Cooper

Craig