On 14/06/2013 04:05, Nick Williams wrote:

On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

As I make my way through the Servlet 3.1 spec reviewing all the
changes to make sure they have all been implemented, I have reached
section 8.2. There are a number of related issues here.

1. Three known issues with the current SCI / fragment handling [1]
- SCI scan does not obey class loader ordering - fragments in
container JARs are processed - Container SCIs may be exluded

2. A wish for per context jarsToSkip [2]

3. A wish for greater control over jarsToSkip [3]

These issues are all inter-related. Fixing them is going to require
either some very ugly hacks or changes to the JarScanner API.

I have started down the route of the JAR scanner API changes. The
overall idea is: - jarsToSkip is replaced by a JarScanFilter with
the default implementation doing what jarsToSkip currently does

I would request "doing what jarsToSkip currently does plus what is
wanted with jarsToScan in 3."

If it wasn't clear from my original e-mail, that is exactly what these changes are intended to do.

It shouldn't be extra complicated or
require re- or duplicate-configuration of anything to whitelist one
JAR.

It is in no-ones interest to make anything more complicated than it needs to be.

If a user wants to whitelist one JAR they are going to have to reconfigure something. Tomcat can't read minds.

I agree duplicating configuration is something to be avoided where practical.

Also, it's very important that log4j-core*.jar and log4j-taglib*.jar
be whitelisted by default.

I agree we don't want to exclude those JARs from scanning by default. Whitelisting isn't the only way of doing that. A less broad entry in the skip list would achieve the same result. That said, using whitelisting for these would be a nice example to users of how it works.