On 1/30/07, Henning Schmiedehausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I did discuss this in some depth with Will on IRC. He explained me his
reasons for the vote in depth I respect them. Here is my response:

- The problem with the anakia.html file is apparent and obvious. So we
  have a single file for a quite obscure part of Velocity missing. It
  is fixed on the site
  (http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/anakia.html)
  so if anyone is really looking for this file and can not find it in
  the downloaded distribution, it is available online.

  To me, this is no show stopper. It is a wart. We have a number of
  them (I can readily think of at least one more broken link on the
  bundled pages).

- The release feels "rushed". As I wrote, yes in part it is because I
  want to get it out before end of January. We have been dragging that
  release for so long that we might make the vaporware top 10 at some
  point. I'd like to get over with it. If we have warts, we can release
  1.5.1 which fix them.

  Aiming for perfection IMHO does not cut the cake. Good is enough and
  we can always do the next release. We can find a reason not to release
  every time we try.

+1

- The issues we have are *solely* with documentation. No code is
  involved.

- Re-releasing 1.5 is IMHO not possible. We have rolled tarballs and
  jars which have been available from
  http://people.apache.org/dist/velocity/1.5/ Some people are bound to
  have downloaded them and they might even spread. We can denounce
  them as "not officially released" but if we re-roll 1.5 tarballs, we
  will end up with bug reports against bogus versions.

eh...  if you think so.  i wouldn't say we released it even once, much
less worry about re-releasing.  we can call the next test build 1.5,
1.5.0 or 1.5.1, as far as i'm concerned.

Telling me that I did a lot of work is nice. I know it. Velocity did cut
seriously into my spare time lately and I want to spend this time for
coding, not doing release and documentation chores. There has not much
response been in terms of helping with docs and while most people are
already talking about "the grand new Velocity 2.0", we want to get an
actual release for 1.x first.

Sorry, been busy with VelocityTools 1.3. :(

BTW: I don't actually buy into the "smooth transition" argument anyway,
however I can not really reinforce it. If you have an app that uses 1.4
or 1.3 for a long time and you just drop 1.5 in, you are in for a
surprise.  There is always dependency upgrading (which we could have
stated more prominently in the release, but we do have it on the web
site now  (http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/upgrading.html, once
the mirror caught up), so adding that link in the announcement is IMHO
fine.

As a compromise, I'd like to propose to keep the 1.5 release and call it
"Release candidate" in the same way as httpd calls it's releases x.y.z
and assigns them "levels of quality" such as (Alpha) (Beta) (Release
Candidate) (General Availability). So this would then be
Velocity 1.5 (Release Candidate) with probably Velocity 1.5.1 (General
Availability) following.

hmm.  not thrilled about switching release procedures midway, but if
you won't release Velocity 1.5 as final/GA/whatever, then i want to
see some sort of release.  so, i suppose i'll give this plan a:

+1

This would mean that we reduce our planned 'press campaign' to an
announcement on the dev list and the RSS feed and run the real thing for
1.5.1.

I will not release if we have a -1 vote even if we do have three PMC +1
votes. I know the 'Apache rules' would back me here, but I would feel
uncomfortable to do this without unanimous consent from the PMC members.
Will felt strong enough about this to not just abstain but to vote -1,
so we should try to resolve this and get him to retract his vote.

To be honest, i'm bummed about this.  I think there is wisdom in the
rules.   If Will feels strongly enough to -1 this, then he should feel
strongly enough to address his concerns, upload a 1.5.1 test build and
vote to have it released ASAP to supersede the 1.5 release.

I did pull the release archives from people.apache.org. If we can
resolve this on short notice, good. If not, we are basically stuck with
Mid-March as the next possible release date (and a third vote) if I
should do the release or someone else stepping up as release manager.

Will should be able to scratch his itches quickly.  Mid-march is a
long time to wait for such small tweaks.  If he doesn't step up with a
1.5.1 test build and vote before then, then i may take a shot at it.

I'd like to hear opinions from others to that. I'd also like to
encourage you to lobby Will to withdraw his -1 :-)

        Best regards
                Henning