Hi all,

Reluctantly, I vote -1.

I tested the release.  It compiled fine, ant test ran fine under JDK
1.5 and 1.6, worked with Velocity Tools 1.2.  But when I checked all
the hyperlinks, the anakia page was missing.  There's an error when
generating the page and it was left out of the distribution [1].

I'm concerned about two things.  I'm concerned about a prominent bad
link on the main menu, and I'm concerned the last minute "vote on the
final release" might not have uncovered additional problems.  We've a
chance to make a major impression on the Java world with this
prominent release and I want this to be very smooth installation for
both new users and the typical existing user who wants to upgrade.

My recommendation is to delay the release until there's time to fix
these doc issues and for more thorough testing.  Mid-March seems fine.
For the "shallow bugs" theory to work, we need to issue a "release
candidate" that everyone can work with.  This doesn't need to be an
actual release, just a binary distribution we can test.  After a few
weeks we should be assured the details are 100% set.

Incidentally, I disagree with Henning's comment that the beta2 had no
errors.  Actually, beta2 had a serious error in the build process in
which "ant test" failed when run from the actual distribution.  It
worked from the source distribution but not the released package.  No
one found this problem for a month.

I can't adequately express my admiration of Henning's efforts in the
last 6 months to get this out. This must be frustrating.  I take
responsibility myself for not thinking through the implications of the
release process when Henning proposed a month ago we issue a release
at the end of January.

However, the good news is that the recent momentum was effective.  We
are right at the doorway to a new release with many new features.  The
code is branched and close to perfect.  Docs are set, readme is
present.  With a little more checking (and fixing minor issues like
this one), we can type "ant dist" in early March and create the new
release.

WILL

[1]
   [echo]
 [anakia] Transforming into: C:\Documents and
Settings\wglass\Desktop\velocity-1.5\bin\docs
 [anakia] Input:  anakia.xml
 [anakia]
 [anakia] Error: The end-tag for element type "example" must end with
a '>' delimiter.
 [anakia]        Line: 117 Column: 60