My non-binding vote:
[x] 1) Keep the change. It provides friendlier HTML id's by
eliminating '.' characters and it's perfectly safe.
[ ] 2) Revert the change. It's not a bug and the "magic" behavior is
unnecessary and/or dangerous.

I would reverse my vote if the change had not been made as the request
here is to work around a bug in another product and that product is not
a critical product for Wicket to function. It just doesn't make sense to
waste time on that.

However, as the change has been made and there is no ill effect, there is
no reason to undo the change either as that would even waste more time,
provided that there is no assumed guarantee that Wicket will take such
good care of JQuery and might revert back to a dot or anything valid in
the future.