hmm, you're sending mixed signals :) so you're 0.9 for option two I presume.

It is hard to say, I'm not sure if this will break stuff of people
that depend on the old behavior, and are not jquery users.  I just
tested this with problem with prototype.js, and that one also breaks
the dot notation in their javascript css selector method ($$).

However, I am positive that the javascript libraries are at fault
here: in that they don't support the \. notation correctly (safari
does the right thing with stylesheets though!).

I'm inclined to say 0.9 for option 2, as working around bugs does seem
like a stopgap measure.

Martijn

<head>
div {
        height : 100px;
        width : 100px;
}
#foo.bar {
        background-color : red;
}
#foo\.bar {
        background-color : blue;
}
</head>

This shows what you'd expect (in safari) a red and blue box.