On 9/27/07, Ryan Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've always
> been comfortable with the idea that it's a user's responsibility not
> to use invalid HTML id characters in a component id since it's the
> user's choice to call setOutputMarkupId(true) and it's easy to
> understand how component id's relate to markup id's.

i think this is where the problem stems for you. markupid and componentid
are not really meant to be tightly coupled. the only contract on markupid is
that it returns a unique id. for the most part we have been trying to reuse
componentid in some shape or form because it makes debugging easier, but i
can totally see an optimization that is enabled in production mode where
markup ids are generated to minimize their length. "a2e", "ox", etc.

-igor