Hi All,

Just trying to clear up my understanding regarding how kannel handles
smsc message charset translations. Just been through code no pdu
debugging yet.

If I receive a message from a smsc in say ucs2, from what I can see in
smsc_smpp.c pdu_to_msg the msg data always gets converted from gsm to
latin1 regardless of source charset. Although the data coding is
recorded it doesn't seem to make any difference to the msg decoding. In
this way there is potential for some characters from the source message
to be lost.

Is this an accurate assessment? Anyone else experiencing this problem
(ie chars that vanish from MO messages)? What about having a translation
scheme for each data_coding (usc2_to_latin, etc with gsm_to_latin1 the
default obviously. Potentially a smsc configuration directive could be
useful to force a data_coding for broken smsc.

Cheers,
Alan