Petr Viktorin wrote:
> As with any orphaning, that leaves two options:
> - someone else agrees now to take over in 2020 (keeping in mind this is
> a security-critical package and will be abandoned upstream), or

IMHO, this is clearly the right thing to do. I have been doing security
backports for qt3 and kdelibs3 for years, and now also qt 4 and kdelibs 4.
It is not an unreasonable amount of work, though to be very clear I will NOT
be the one to do this for Python 2, somebody experienced with and interested
in Python should do it.

Especially for the first couple years, it will be possible to just borrow
fixes from other distros, in particular RHEL/CentOS. As was pointed out
elsewhere in this thread, EL7 ships Python 2.7 and should be supported until
2024. (That said, RHEL typically only fixes the really critical issues. My
experience with qt3 and kdelibs3 is that RHEL was not always proactive in
backporting security fixes and sometimes even ended up picking up my Fedora
fix, weeks later. But there are also other distros around.)

        Kevin Kofler