On 30.6.2020 22:31, nick...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 21:55 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
On 30.6.2020 21:14, nick...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:32 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Grub discourages users who have tried sd-boot from
coming/returning
Fedora [1].

Bottom line I think this will be a good move for the distribution
and
good time to start looking into and make that move.

JBG

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/c0f3z5/systemdboot/
I read the whole reddit link, but I couldn't understand what's
wrong
with grub. The poster admits to having an obsession with keeping
the
number of packages to a minimum (I don't know what that has to do
with
grub), and doesn't like grub for some unexplained reason. Note that
have never used sd-boot. So far, I've used LILO (starting with Red
Hat
Linux 5.0), grub1 and grub2. These days, I don't even notice the
boot
loader. This means it's doing its job properly. :)

Maybe I should try sd-boot in a UEFI VM and see for myself, but can
someone explain what's the difference?

I have one system where I run Fedora Server in UEFI mode and I
haven't
ever had the need to mess with the bootloader. It just shows its
menu
for 5 seconds and that's all that it does. I don't understand how
can
something like that discourage a user from using Fedora? :)
Given that you have not changed an entry in your boot loader for
quite
sometime or perhaps ever it would actually be better that you
yourself
setup Fedora using sd-boot as the boot manager and compare changing
an
configuration entry in sd-boot with doing the exact same thing in
Grub2
and share your feedback and experience of doing so with the rest of
the
community rather then someone provide you with an answer.
I would try it, but I don't know how, since Fedora uses GRUB2. Should I
install ArchLinux in a VM or is there a way to try it with Fedora? Is
there any documentation for how to install it and how to use it?

Good point

I was not planning on doing that until I had some feedback on how big of scope this could turn out to be but I see if I cant setup a minimal test image you can build locally with mkosi and write some documentation. It's almost 23:00 here so it wont be until tomorrow.

JBG