On 2024-02-01 10:27 a.m., Peter Boy wrote:

Sorry, a bit off-topic here, but nevertheless:

Am 01.02.2024 um 15:14 schrieb Steve Cossette <farch...@gmail.com>:

Hello Pgnd,

I honestly do appreciate your point of view. Especially from a business owner standpoint. I do manage small business servers, and I feel you in that regard.

I do have to also applaud your nerves of steel though, using Fedora as a server in a business environment, to me anyway, always felt ill-advised as things tend to take rough 90 degree turns in Fedora which can often cause breakages in some server scenarios and stuff (The F40 mysql change comes to mind).

Hello Steve and hello Pgnd,

I would like to ask you (and invite you) to discuss your "take rough 90 degree turns“ assessment for Fedora Server on Fedora Server list (and hopefully diminish your need for nerves of steel). I rather hear sometimes a kind of disappointment (or rebuke) about Fedora Server, that it is boring and it changes too little, no excitement, no surprise, too little new, everything just works as it has always worked, ... That kind of thing, just boring.

We aim to avoid „90 degree turns“ and disruption and proof to be able to provide the latest functionality of software services in a stable and reliable environment without much delay and, above all, without disruption. And if I look at our download statistics, an increasing number of admins seem to like it.

Your example about the mysql change does not seem to me to be in any way as significant as the decision about KDE and Xorg. And does not represent a disruption, but rather an evolution.

Would really like to discuss with you about recent 90 degree turns (I’m not aware of any in the last 2-3 years) and how to avoid it.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast

Fedora Code of
Conduct:https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/