On Fri, 2024-03-01 at 13:27 -0600, Jason Tibbitts wrote:

> > Honestly, we could really use more automation here, but it's a fairly
> > hard thing to do *reliably* and there just isn't anybody specifically
> > tasked with it so it doesn't happen.
>
> So sure, we could use something but it doesn't have to start out as some
> complex fully automatic system.  (Would be nice, but...)
>
> Can we agree that we'd be at least half of the way there if we just had
> a well defined way to:
>
> * Know what package depend on the one you're updating
>
> * Easily bump and chain-build all of that in a side tag
>
> Surely there's a reopquery or fedrq command line that will find at least
> most of what needs to be rebuilt.  It doesn't have to be absolutely
> perfect but it can't be that hard to get close.  I know there's a
> distinction between build and runtime dependencies and rich/conditional
> dependencies complicate things a bit, but those much smarter than I am
> must have already figured out how to get something that's at least
> somewhat useful.
>
> Once you have the package list, maybe it needs some kind of sorting
> before you can just bump and chain-build things, but I think in many
> cases it doesn't.  So, yes, a 100% tool would be really hard but the 80%
> tool really shouldn't be that bad, and almost any tool would really help
> people out.

Yeah, for sure, that's why I'm trying to nibble around the edges by
updating the docs to strongly encourage chain builds, document using
fedpkg chain-build on a side tag, and hopefully get fedpkg chain-build
enhanced so it can create the side tag and the final update
automatically. If we can get that, then I can make the docs explain how
to use it.

ISTR there've been several recent discussions of complex dep chains on
this very list where people have floated candidates for repoquery/fedrq
commands...if there's one we're pretty confident is The Best, we can
definitely plumb that into the docs at least (plumbing it all the way
into fedpkg might be a step too far, though).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA