Harold L Hunt II writes:
 > Egbert,
 >
 > My main question here is why does HEAD not have "hp" while xf-4_3-branch
 > still does?  I can checkout HEAD, but I cannot check out xf-4_3-branch
 > because "hp" is in the way.
 >
 > Do the changes that you applied to HEAD need to be applied to
 > xf-4_3-branch as well?

Hm, I don't really understand the reason why you have this problem.
It must have to do with the fact that in order to get to this branch
in cvs you have to apply all the patches that were along the way.
Looking at the messages that CVS writes this seems to be the case:

U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/sun
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/winbook
cvs checkout: Updating xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/HP
cvs checkout: Updating xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/digital
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/digital/Imakefile

However when I make 'ls' no directory HP is there.

Even though the directory HP doesn't exist any more it seems to be
created temporarily and deleted afterwards.

You can check out the HEAD as the 'full' version of the file in
the repository file is always the HEAD version.

I don't see a way how you can work around this as there seems to
be no way to exclude files from checkout/update.
One could create an alias module in the CVS repositry which excludes
the HP directory. Like

 xc-win -a !xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/HP xc

Then doing a
     cvs checkout xc-win
may work. However I suspect that a 'cvs update' will still fail as
this doesn't know about the module concept.

Egbert.