In a message dated 3/29/05 3:31:49 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> And I also personally think it would be best if there were always an
> educational technologist involved, someone who could ensure, not that
> the research is done before development, but rather that the
> development takes education into account and builds in possibilities
> for using new technology in educational ways. I would definitely love
> to have an educational discount on one of these. Think what it would
> mean to a small group of underserved people to be asked to FIND the
> educational uses.

Sandy I have been lucky to be involved in several knowledgenetworks, one of
them being CILT.org and the other at NCSA. But it is different when you are not
a Phd, and you are talking to those who have Phd.s and there is a vast
difference in the understanding of the classroom when people only look from
afar and
from places where what is called school is very different from. Those who are
not in the culture of the classroom, cannot really always create for that
group because they don't understand the politics, time, community aspects, and
or
the permission that is not there for many.

The SITE conference is also small enough, as are some of the others that you
know who the people are and can connect with them. For many people across the
digital divide that is a problem. No one validates their thoughts, understands
their issues and or problems. No one understands and the solutions that
people pick are picked without their involvement understanding, or input.

And sometimes those in the group pull my coattails, because there is a lot to
learn from them.

If we talk about the differences between communities they may understand that
gulf of misunderstanding. There is a digital apartheid of place it is
sometimes subtle and sometimes not.I remember the kids who went to visit in a
suburb
of Chicago and who cried on the way home, because the difference was so huge
in what we call "school".

Someone on the list told me that kids should not have an individual computer.
Well, I worked in a lab where 30 kids came in and usually maybe 12 of the
computers were working so I knew how to do
peer tutoring, but the time was a terrible problem. Sharing is good, but all
teachers don't have behavior modifications that are inclusive of the use of
technology. I had to share. What I could not create was time. What I could not
do was change the culture of the teachers working with them. Some punished them
by keeping them away from the computer, some teachers wanted to control what
I was doing. It was a good lesson for me to learn. The interface between me,
at that time working as a computer lab person, and me as a regular teacher was
different.

Most of the men I worked with in the NIIAC thought for sure that there would
never be this problem of training teachers to use technology, or should I say
having teachers learn the use of technology, because to them if the purchase
was made, the employee would participate. Like I said, they had no classroom
experience. in 1999 ( old history) Only one in five teachers told a national
survey that they felt well prepared to work in a modern classroom. Only about
20
percent said they were confident in using modern technology or in working with
students from diverse backgrounds, with limited proficiency in English or
with disabilities. PT3.org was born. But it was never universal. There are
still
people with computers who have had only just in time training , if that.

Bonnie Bracey
[EMAIL PROTECTED] com