Educational technologists do hope that there is research on
educational needs before we introduce new technologies into education,
but that is because we don't want to be wasting time on flashy new
items that may not have much of a purpose yet. But in my digital
divide work I sense an ongoing interaction: people who have no access
to technology (who are not sitting in nicely furnished schoolrooms)
are hungry to learn and will make best use of what is available, until
that moment when they are ready for the most professional equipment;
and then the new challenge arises of how to get that equipment. If
that equipment becomes available to them, then we can worry about
wasting time on the latest bells and whistles.

And even games (ten years after it was predicted) are now being shown
to have educational value.

There is a muse of technology just as much as in poetry, and
synchronicities abound. The creative person isn't going to stop
creating just because we'd like more control. That would stifle
creativity.

In the accessibility portion of the digital divide we have a similar
difficulty. Many people are now aware of the the need for
accessibility to those with disabilities; but as soon as we work out
ways to accomplish it, there are new technologies sprouting out of the
woodwork, and they aren't necessarily accessible.

We can deal with the accessibility issue best by working on policies
of always having people with disabilities involved in creating new
technologies (because when it gets right down to the actual work, this
creation is a team effort.)

And I also personally think it would be best if there were always an
educational technologist involved, someone who could ensure, not that
the research is done before development, but rather that the
development takes education into account and builds in possibilities
for using new technology in educational ways. I would definitely love
to have an educational discount on one of these. Think what it would
mean to a small group of underserved people to be asked to FIND the
educational uses.

Sandy Andrews

--
Sandra Sutton Andrews, PhD