The SCA (Subsidiary Communications Authority) was a sub-carrier quite a
distance from the main carrier and was not detected by the standard FM
receiver. The audio quality was very low. I think the maximum was only
8000 Hz or something relatively modest but worked well for speech.

The IBOC (In Band-On Channel) system is used for the HD-AM transmissions
which simulcast analog and digital. There are problems. On Oct, some of
the ABC Radio affiliates were shutting off their IBOC transmissions at
night due to adjacent channel interference to other stations and they
felt the performance was as good as they had initially thought. I don't
think many consumers are buying the receivers so you also have a chicken
and egg situation.

IBOC is also used on FM (88 to 108 MHz), and I would expect it to work
better than on the relatively narrow 10 kHz AM BCB.

If you have been following the press on DRM, it has been somewhat
unfavorable since the quality improvement is not always that good either
due to multipath issues. It seems hard to believe, but there was some
claims that Sangean will discontinue DRM for their SW receiver. I could
not confirm this out from their web site, but I also could not find DRM
SW receivers either.

The DAB transmissions from satellite is quite good and gives you over
100 channels, but you do have to pay a subscription fee.