Why is there a need in ham radio for mode wars?

Is it counterproductive to have so much negativity
and misinformation being spouted about various
digital modes and methods by those who profess
to be proponents of digital ham radio?

Why is it necessary for a person who advocates
some particular flavor of digital, to be so mean
and nasty against another flavor?

I ask these questions, because I've watched so many
positive people and technology innovators driven
away by vociferous personal attacks on several ham
radio forums.

Digitalradio has certainly lost many due to this.
QRZ.com is another forum that has lost the voices
of some of the most positive and beneficial
individuals in ham radio digital. Yes, QRZ is a
rough place to begin with, but aren't the same
individuals who perpetrate negativity there, doing
the same thing here on digitalradio?

If we let the negative people control the level
of discourse in forums for discussion, where will
this lead the future of ham radio digital? What
have we already lost in digital technlogy? What
will we lose in the future?

Bonnie KQ6XA