-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Christian Crayton
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:05 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Anti-Digital Hams

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Gourley" <bg...@...> wrote:

> But humans provided the emcom traffic to the machines, and the
machines at
> the far end of the communication deliver it to humans. Without the
humans,
> there is no "communication."

I agree.  What I was referring to are store-and-forward links where HF
is used as a internet replacement, instead of a mode in which a human
operator relays a message to another human operator.

*******************************

Efficient use of resources dictates that we use the mode efficient
transport layer and delivery system.  Using a repeater to spell the
names phonetically of shelter occupants looking for family members in
another shelter hardly makes sense, if there are working fax machines
and telephone lines.  This has nothing to do with the art of radio; it
addresses the concepts of common sense and efficient operations.  We are
not only Amateur Radio Operators, we should be resourceful in our
utilization of the tools available.

Also, it is hard to relay a multi-part form (IS-213) via voice, when a
binary format retains formatting...  This is not in the realm of voice
operations; sitreps, on the ground intel, real-time info gathering that
fills the formatted form are the realm of voice ops.  The two can
co-exist.

WL2K is not a store and forward system like packet networks were in the
past.  In the WL2K system, the traffic goes from point to central
repository (with redundant storage), where it is directly retrieved by
the addressee (or their assigned operator).

The fear of more efficient transport layers will do more to destroy
amateur radio than being resourceful and making use of available
infrastructure.  We are supposed to think on our feet; not fear
technology.

> For genuine, this-is-no-drill emcom, we should use the most effective
mode
> possible. Effective being the balance between speed and required
accuracy.

Again I agree.  However, there is a distinction between this-is-no-drill
emcomm, and the other 99.95% of the time that these automated messaging
systems are just handling traffic that could be handled on the Internet.
Please don't misunderstand me, I am not suggesting that these systems be
shut down.  I am not against email, Pactor or technology.

I am concerned that the people who are creating the HF to Internet links
don't really understand Internet security issues to know what they are
doing.  I am also concerned that these technologies will, if taken to
the extreme, do significant damage to the art of radio.  My opinions
only, other opinions may vary.  :)

The other 99.95% of the time is spent making sure the system is a
working piece of infrastructure during the .05% of time it is needed.
It is a time in which new operators come on line and learn to be a part
of the network, where system operators improve their system's
effectiveness, where new methods of more efficient operations are tested
and perfected, where the outgoing system operators are replaced by newer
ones, or more remote areas come on line; which further increases the
redundant appeal of the system.  This is amateur radio; not Fear Factor.
Why should we be so afraid of using newer technology to enhance or value
to those we serve?

I am primarily a voice operator.  I spend time on the air improving my
technique, time off the air improving my skills    and technical
understanding.  I am certainly a long way off from understanding
everything, and the most important part of that statement is that I
understand this limitation.  Having said that, I don't include fear of
emerging technology as a skill-set that is important to the continuation
of the Amateur Radio Service.

I also try to use as many of the digital modes as I am able to try.  An
emergency is no time to discover the inherit weaknesses of handling a
served agency's traffic in a manner usable by them; via voice..  Some
things just aren't compatible, and the quickest way to get uninvited
from a disaster party is to dictate how the hosts require their info to
be disseminated.

We need to embrace the future, not fear it.  It is the only way we will
remain relevant.

David
KD4NUE