It's unfortunate that this group is losing members because of a silly, off
topic discussion. The group is DIGITALRADIO. There is a hint at the
beginning of the topic name as to what this group is interested in.. If you
don't care for digital modes...unsubscribe yourself, but don't pontificate
about analog vs. digital here. It's really unfortunate that a few people
stuck in their ways dating back to the 1960's have to chase people away that
are looking to new and innovative ways to communicate. BTW - as a hobby, HAM
radio is dying. The new people that may or may not decide to keep it alive
are the people who can SMS and text with lightning speed and accuracy. This
generation cares not about CW and little about 1200 bps packet on VHF. They
care even less about voice. But there are a few who care about keeping the
hobby alive. Don't chase them away. I have a 18 year old son who loves
networking and can configure a Cisco router in his sleep. He looks at my
radio gear, sighs and says wow. Kind of placating me.

RE: the people that are saying what we are doing mirrors the
Internet....wow - you have a whole lot more confidence in the Internet that
I do. AS qualification, I have built a few ISPs in my life as well as more
than one satellite based service. The Internet is very vulnerable to natural
and man made disasters, exactly the opposite of what DARPANet was intended
to do.. Yes OC-3's and the like are more efficient at exchanging messages,
but what happens when the OC-3 fails? What happens when the CO is under
water? What happens when the power is lost to a significant region? We in
California know what that is like as do the people who live in the South
East.

So please, If you have a beef with digital modes, this is probably not the
best place to gripe.

Flames automatically extinguished with the delete key.

73 Matt KI6NCU in Northern CA. KI6NCU-1 on 145.050