I use Linux and MS Windows XP and Vista here in the shack with a KVM
switch. I have never used Windoze, but I see some hams claim they know
about it.

Linux can be fairly easy to reload, but that is only if it supports your
equipment. For many years this was not possible for my computers/monitor
until Ubuntu/Kubuntu 9.04, which I consider to be an OK OS. Maybe not as
good as Vista, which has been the overall best OS that I have used over
a 20+ year period, but rating on OS depends upon your requirements and
what you value.

Linux has some features that I favor over MS (probably more secure, much
lighter and responsive on older machines, etc.). But realistically, what
is most importantly for most of us is that MS OS's natively run the
programs that most of us want to use and Linux can not do that as well,
sometimes not at all. The one program I mainly run on the Linux computer
is the PSKmail_server which can only run on Linux. If I did not use
that, then it would be difficult to justify having multiple OS's since
it greatly complicates things. (Other than the hobby aspect, which I
feel is legitimate, even if not that practical).

Since an increasing number of programs are cross platform and run well
on either OS, there is less of a compelling reason to move to Linux. One
exception might be the netbooks. No matter what MS claims, even with
Windows 7, lightweight Linux variants will run much better on those low
powered computers.  If fact I have read that MS would like to
characterize netbooks as low powered computers rather than netbooks
because they know their OS's can not be tailored as well for that
environment.

I have reloaded Vista several times due to playing around with Linux and
damaging the MBR (and not knowing much about fixing it, HI), and it is
much easier and surprisingly fast compared with previous MS reloads. And
by the way, I always reload any MS product after a BSOD. Of course, I
have actually never seen a BSOD for years and years even though some
claim they have this happen regularly, HI.

If the seller of the PC did not include full back ups of the OS, my
solution to your concern about reloading is to be sure to make a backup
disk with the necessary drivers. I agree that it can be very difficult
to get the right drivers, but once you do, I have found future reloads
are relatively simple.

Good luck with your computing.