Toby Burnett wrote:

> What size do these image programs make the image?  Do they really work
> in the event of total system failure?  It is a rather old PC here also
> and I think doing anything like this is going to cripple it.  Sorry to
> high jack the thread but seems a good topic for all of us.

The image is compressed by default but essentially holds all of the
information on the original disk drive plus some info it needs about
the backup, etc. You can opt for no compression (faster) or more
compression (saves space, slower) but I have only used the default
compression option.

Earlier this week at work I made an image of a 40GB drive that had
about 30GB used. The image size on the file server is 17GB. It took
around an hour to create the image.

In general the disk images are good for restoring broken or infected
hard drives. When you change motherboards or go to an entire new
system the image you've saved is not set up to work with different
motherboard chip sets, network interfaces, video, etc. I have not
tried it but would be surprised if it worked.

Tim, N9PUZ