If you use an image backup product like Norton Ghost or StorageCraft
ShadowProtect, you can construct such a CD or DVD yourself. You can make a
snapshot with all of your applications installed and configured, allowing a
rapid recovery in the event of a catastrophic failures.

I started with Ghost, creating image backups weekly and incrementals nightly,
but found it to be fragile and user hostile. ShadowProtect isn't perfect, but
its much better. I have fully recovered systems on several occasions in less
than an hour.

While its true that rebuilding Windows from scratch eliminates some of the
accumulated detritus on your hard drive and in the Windows Registry, having to
then re-install and configure all of your applications makes this an expensive
proposition. I find that periodically running the freeware Advanced SystemCare
keeps things reasonably well-pruned; some DXLab users have reported a
noticeable performance improvement after running it. Its available via

<http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=button>

I wouldn't run any application that mucks about in the Windows Registry without
having a backup, though creating a System Restore Point beforehand is probably
sufficient.

I have no relationship with any of the companies mentioned above.

     73,

        Dave, AA6YQ