On Nov 16, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Robert Barlow-Busch wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/2nu3tr

> In the end, personas are just a report format. Or if you hate
> reports (and
> who doesn't?), think of them as a communications channel.

I think you might find a lot of designers hate reports. At least the
ones I've worked with and hired have, and I myself have them as well
when they are formated in a way that makes hard to read. The biggest
problem with reports is that valuable information is buried in dense
amounts of text. Your posted example shows this problem, as have many
of the personas I've seen in the past as well.

Having said that, I know one of the best tools for designers to have
that communicates valuable research are posters. Dealing with the
information design as a poster exercise is useful in many ways, but
the most useful thing about posters is that they can be printed in
large formats and put in places where everyone can see them, discuss
them and be remind of details without having to trudge through one's
hard drive or multiple pages in a PDF to find or remind oneself of
useful information.

> I cringe when people talk about needing personas. No you don't! You
> need the
> particular *insights* communicated by personas, insights about goals,
> behaviors, and context. If you don't need those insights (perhaps
> because
> you're the customer and can design for yourself), then forget
> personas.

Interesting point. I agree. I would suggest the insights as presented
in the current format

Think of it also as a Tufte problem... People develop business
presentations based on decks and PowerPoint. The nature of the tool
and they way it is delivered is ruining business thinking by making
everyone think about the nature of business as a bulleted deck
format. That's Tufte's main complaint about PowerPoint, it's making
people fill out a template and not forcing them to understand not
only the data, research and strategy, but also how to best
communicate that data, research and strategy. And I agree with him
fully on it.

I would suggest to those that make persona deliverables that the
format, the template and the deliverable is a core reason why
personas are having trouble being adopted properly at more places.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world