RB wrote:
I've had a request to increase logging duration on systems that have
no access to an external syslog server, so am making the necessary
changes to maintain much larger ring-log files.  Incredibly larger -
averaging 1000-1500B/s to certain logs, and we're looking at 20-30
days' worth.  Storage isn't an issue, as the smallest has 18GB drives
and that rate will put us between 2.5 and 3.8GB for 30 days.

All that said, I wanted to make sure clog was good to go, seeing as
most of the logs it handles are in the < 1MB range. I'm not much of a
C coder, but in reading the code I think I've identified a problem -
even though most of the code uses uint32_t or size_t, main() uses a
signed integer (int size) to store the initialization size, giving an
effective maximum of 2GB.  Am I right?  That'll probably get me where
I need, but I'd really rather have some margin for more-chatty days.

Of course, an alternative would be to install another logging daemon
and have it do all of that - that's fine, but I'd really rather stay
as close to the original setup as possible.

I'm no C coder at all so can't comment on your specific concern - but if you would like to rip and replace the logging system, we'd welcome the contribution. What we'd like to see on full installs (embedded will have to stay clog) is the ability for the user to define the length and/or file size of log retention, and they would be stored in a normal text format. We have a few other things we'd like to see as well, if you would be willing to rewrite the logging system we can discuss further.