> On Feb 10, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> But then why call it manylinux instead of centos5? You build it on this OS,
> you expect others to build it on this OS. just name it what it is.

Because this is a very specific subset of CentOS 5 that has shown to, in
practice, work cross distro into the vast majority of glibc using Linux
distributions. The idea here is that if you restrict yourself to these subset
of libraries, you’ll produce a wheel that can be installed on say, Debian
(assuming a recent enough Debian is used, which is why we’re using the very
ancient CentOS 5, so it’s sufficiently old) and not have ABI issues to contend
with.

“manylinux” is a nicer name than
“builtoncentos5butinawaythatisusableonmanyotherlinuxsystems”.

Donald Stufft