On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Paul Moore wrote:

On 16 February 2016 at 11:05, Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
You may call this sour grapes, but in the light of people installing
these wheels to replace/upgrade system installed eggs, it becomes an issue.
It's fine to use such wheels in a virtual environment, however people tell
users to use these wheels to replace system installed packages, distros will
have a problem identifying issues.

OK, so are you not simply saying that people shouldn't be using (sudo)
pip to install packages into the system environment instead of using
the system packages?

As a non-Linux user my opinion isn't that relevant, but I don't see an
issue with a statement like this. I gather that people typically do
this when the distro packages aren't available, or don't provide a
sufficiently up to date version, but that's a separate issue.

I've learned that *usually* linux distro repos lag way behind in updating their Python packages, so unless I *can't* install the package via pip, that's what I do.

Of course, to my knowledge I've never replaced a system installed version of anything. Though, considering I've been using Python3 since it was available and most distros use Python 2, that may not really be saying much :)

-W